A Proclamation of Death for Anime Blogging is Nigh (Or is it?)

The two-year cycle. The Death-Knell. Inevitable demise.

Every other month, we see various anibloggers along the blogosphere announcing the predestined demise of anime blogging (the latest being Rabbitpoets and the most infamous being Scamp). With the advent of social media like Twitter and facebook, it seems like fans who usually flock to blogs for their anime fix have found new ways to amuse themselves. Twitter in particular has been a big hit as discussions and debate rage on in limited form months after the subject matter has concluded. Still, to proclaim that this is the end of anime blogging seems a tad premature. A quick look into blog aggregators like AnimeNano will show that there is still an abundance of blogs to cater to many a fan’s fetish. New blogs pop in out and every other day. And with the summer holidays coming along, there is no doubt that there will be a minor boom hitting the blogosphere as lonely fans take refuge in the anime blogging community.

But nothing is ever certain based on perception. This is why I took it upon myself to conduct a little survey and investigation to get a first hand look into the state of aniblogging in 2011. With three years of experience writing detailed reports with supporting data, I’d like to think that I have the facilities to conduct this ambitious project. This research takes data in many forms, including a highly detailed quantitative analysis and interviews with well-established bloggers, prolific fans/commentors and anime forumites, as well as a statistical monthly breakdown of anime post efficiency from 2004 to 2011 (a highly sophisticated S.W.O.T. analysis and breakdown of data in conjunction with parts of the world were also assessed). Juggling this data has been quite a huge task in itself so I acquired the help of the rest of the SJ writers to format it properly. With the obscene amount of graphs and charts, I had to place them in spoilers in order to have this post be remotely readable. Hell, I even made this wide post template for the sole purpose of giving us more room to work with.

A graphical preview

As you all know, I’m pretty into aesthetics and flash, so you can definitely expect some sexy graphs and charts to justify the data. We all know how boring long-winded reports and graphs can be, even for interesting subjects like anime and blogging. This is why I hope to add my own brand of flair to this otherwise bland subject. I really hope that you read fully and discuss my research, since this has taken me months of soul-sucking research during my summer holidays to conduct. This is a highly controversial subject matter and due to its very opinionated nature, I advise discretion, and I wish for you to discuss my findings in the comment section in a civilized manner. With this, I am confident that once and for all, we will finally have a sound understanding on anime blogging’s footing in this modern age.

So first up, we will look at adoption rates of anime blogs in the past few years:

Show ▼

My meaningful red herring image

That about covers it for the analytical stuff. It was a bit TL;DR but it’s better to hit every point objectively and in detail, rather than to forego it completely. This isn’t the end of this post however, since below we will hear the final thoughts and conclusions of myself as well as my Sekijitsu colleagues. We all have very differing views on the subject matter so it is highly likely that we will cater to every demographic and viewpoint out there. Hit the jump to read up on our thoughts.

Show ▼

Show ▼

RabbitpoetsThe Cart Driver

41 Comments
  1. Aftershok 4 years ago

This was quite the endeavor! Some solid research and data here, well done. Looks like the anime community can take a breather now, huh? Again, good work.

2. Renn 4 years ago

Absolutely brilliant, Bass.

I'm so thrilled I got to partake in this research. :)

3. RP 4 years ago

OMG, if this is so wrong… why does it feel so right. :-P
    My recent post Bakuman- episode 24- Getting… better

4. Ruby 4 years ago

This is a truly wonderful post, very well done..so good that my eyes are tearing.
    I truly hope that many will enjoy all that hard research and analysis that you done.

5. Anya 4 years ago

Sekijitsu: Where all guys are gay and all girls are lesbians.

Top of your post: APR 02 2011

APRIL TROLLS IS OVER ALREADYYYYYYYYYYY
    My recent post Procrastination and Lions

6. Tofu 4 years ago

CUM AT ME BRO!!!!
    My recent post Star Driver 24

7. foomafoo 4 years ago

HNGG. what did I just read? HAHAHA.

8. Chris 4 years ago

I cant help but pick out phallic undertones to all these comments, you sir have soiled my mind!

• Author
      Bass 4 years ago

I can assure you that I handpicked each word carefully in all of my comments to avoid confusion.

Soiling your precious thoughts are the last thing in my mind.
      My recent post Infinite Stratos Review

9. yvoonmanga 4 years ago

….S-SC—SCARRED FOR LIFE!!!

OH.MY.GOD!!!

WTH????

MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!OH, I CANT TAKE ALL THIS TALK!! I COULDN'T EVEN FINISH READING THIS POST!!

I CANT TAKE THIS!! KIIIIIIIIII!!! TOO MUCH….TOUCHY-TOUCHY….TO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!!

AAHHHH!!! MY EYES!!!! FORGET FORGET FORGET!! OTL
    My recent post Aprils Fools Gone Too Far

10. fujiyoshi 4 years ago

hello umm may i please have the titles for pictures 5, 13, 15.. ^^

11. trzr23 4 years ago

In the words of one of my blog's authors: GIVE ME BACK MY INNOCENCE!

Seriously, Bass, after seeing those filthy yaoi images, I don't feel like complementing you on your stunning TTGL images (but I guessI just did).

My recent post Anime Review- Itazura na Kiss

• Author
      Bass 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm lost at this “yaoi” comment.

I thought I elaborated on my findings well enough in the post.
      My recent post Infinite Stratos Review

12. Ydolon 4 years ago

Bravo. My thoughts exactly.

13. Unyty 4 years ago

Ahhhh…my eyes…..I think i am gay now.
    anywaaays…Good job guys.
    P.S – I like this wide blog, stay with this please.

• Author
      Bass 4 years ago

Thanks, we will try and use the wide post more.

Already changed the 7 days of Eyeshield and Spring Preview post into a wider format for easier reading.
      My recent post Infinite Stratos Review

14. blindability 4 years ago

I generally don't like charts or graphs, but yours are quite sexy.
    And I never realized how all your images are linked to Eyeshield 21 manga.

Well played, Bass. Well played.

• Author
      Bass 4 years ago

Eyeshield 21 is the basis of all that is good in this world. It holds the key to the blogosphere surviving.
      My recent post Infinite Stratos Review

15. Overcooled 4 years ago

The post to end all posts. How can you live with yourself knowing you'll never write anything else as spectacular as this?

16. Kyokai 4 years ago

This is soooo EPIC. The research is so mind boggling and thought provoking that I might just add in some reasoning of my own.

You guys have gone over my expectations for this post and Bass knows pretty well how hard it is to please me. Well done for uhh, well researched material. :3

17. baka_girl 4 years ago

WOW..
    Just pure WOW~ xD
    Very good job! *thumbs up*

Did Elyon provide all that yaoi pics? Or do we have another hiding fujoshi in SJ? :D
    My recent post Weekly Report- Manga from 20 Mar – 26 Mar 2011

• Elyon 4 years ago

uh…uh…uhhhhh….maybe >w>
      Not all of them though. I know some of them were Vivi's, and I'm not sure who else added some in.

I have you to thank for the two star driver ones XD lol
      My recent post Star Driver 24

18. anaaga 4 years ago

I LIKE THIS POST. I REALLY REALLY LOVE THIS POST. but I already read all of the yaoi that's in this page, so meh.
    but lol Hiruma x Musashi (right? Or I'm wrong?). and the best of this post? TOFU SAID HE LOVES YAOI. April's Fool or whatever it is, BUT HE SAID HE LOVES THEM. YAY. I love you more tofu *push tofu on the ground* fufufu~

*cough* ANYWAY, this is awesome. Bass makes me feel ashamed, because I'm not even putting this much effort in my debate =/

19. Yi 4 years ago

Haha good one. And good job playing into a question that has indeed been asked way too many times.
    My recent post Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai