Zetsuen no Tempest 01
I’ll admit, I’m having trouble coming up with something decent to write about this episode, so apologies for that. So let’s start off with the shit I didn’t like:
- Yoshino’s inner monologues – “She’s pointing a gun at my head. This is so surreal!” Pffffffft. I don’t think ‘surreal’ is the correct word here. But god, this kid’s thoughts got on my nerves.
- Lazy exposition – I think the dialogue in general is what I disliked the most. Lots of lazy explanations to establish the plot, characters, etc.
- The gigantic chained rock-eye thing – It’s kind of hilarious.
Complaints aside, here’s what I did like:
- Mahiro and Evangeline’s fight – I quite enjoyed the choreography. Even if it was such a short battle.
- The artistry – The camera angles played up the drama nicely, and there was some really nice imagery. That still of Aika’s blood forming swirls on the floor? I like that a lot.
- Story progression – This first episode was not wasted. It established the plot. Perhaps not the most eloquently, but it did its job.
- The opening sequence is boring.
- The song is alright, but the Engrish was quite impressive.
- Evangeline might be my favorite Nana character of the year.
- Yes, I know there are similarities between this and No. 6.